Sunday, January 8, 2012

Freedom in Hope.

Recently in December I came home from a trip and noticed I had a lump on my chest. It wasn't painful so I didn't pay it too much attention. I eventually mentioned it to my parents though, and my Mom and I came to the conclusion that it was most likely a fluid build up and weren't really that concerned. My Dad on the other hand, was a little more concerned and wanted to get it checked out. My Mom and I talked him into waiting a few weeks to see if it would go away and that if it didn't, than we'd consult a physician about it. Four weeks passed and I began to lose weight for no reason and had a lack of appetite and couldn't eat much. The lump still wasn't gone so we scheduled an appointment with an imaging clinic to have an ultra sound done. Last Friday morning I went to the imaging clinic and sat down with an ultrasonographer to have the ultra sound. After the Dr. looked over the images from my ultra sound, she explained to me that it was not a fluid build up but actually a tumor. She proceeded to tell me that it's called a Phyllodes tumor. A Phyllodes tumor is a very rare and aggressive tumor that usually occurs in older women. (Phyllodes tumors are so rare that they make up a little less than 1 % of all breast cancer tumors.) She explained that mine is about 2 centimeters larger than the average tumor and is very aggressive, and because of that I will need to get it surgically removed as soon as this week, at the very latest this weekend. They have yet to know if my tumor is malignant (cancerous) or benign (not cancerous). Whether it be cancerous or not will be determined after lab results return from a biopsy I will be receiving tomorrow morning. Because this tumor is so rare, if it is malignant, they will have a second pathologist review it under a microscope to confirm it. The reason why they are moving so quickly to surgically remove it is because even if it is benign, the tumor will soon be malignant because of how large it is and how quickly it is growing. This all came as a big shock to me because I had completely ruled out the option of it being a tumor because I am so young. I have had the weekend to collect my thoughts. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the events that will take place this week and what the future holds for me, but I'm very confident that things will all turn out for the better. Whatever comes my way through all of this I am prepared to look at it straight on and continue moving forward with a smile. I will not allow fear or doubt to break my high spirits. Most people get tattoo's for their 18th birthday, not tumors. But you know what? I'll have a pretty rockin' scar by the end of this week, so I think that's close enough. :)

Today, I find freedom in comfort and confidence that I believe has been given to me by the Lord. Today, I find freedom in my belief that the will of God, will never take a person, where the grace of God, won't protect them.

3 comments:

  1. good luck tomorrow, c. i love you and am praying for you! ery little ting, is goin' to be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and the mature way you are handling this situation. You're an amazing young woman! I will pray for you. Happy, happy birthday! Keep the faith! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana: Thank you Nans. :) I love you very much! and those are the wisest words Bob Marley ever spoke. :)

    Julie: Thank you so much for your support and thoughtfullness, you're so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete